November 24, 2013

Let's talk about... Tim Bendzko.

Today I would like to talk about Tim Bendzko and also show you a bit of his music, his style, his life. And of course I won't do it alone because this time I have my small helper - Nina, who likes him and knows about him almost everything. If you want to know something more about her, go to her great blog here.


Tim Bendzko is a German pop singer/songwriter from Berlin.As a young boy he attended a sport gymnasium and played at the first FC Union Berlin football and also later he studied Protestant theology and non-Christian religions.
His musical career began with guitar lessons. When he was 16, he wrote his first songs. He released his debut album "Wenn Worte meine Sprache wären" on June 17 2011 and on May 24 2013 he released his second album "Am seidenen Faden".
He won Bundesvision Song Contest 2011 and  the newcomer Bambi award - both in 2011.
Also Tim was an opening act for Elton John'and for Joe Cocker during their tour in Germany..



It's time for my short interview with my music expert - Nina.

 
Hello Nina. It's really nice to have you as the first music expert on this blog. In one of our

conversations  you recommended me Tim Bendzko and that's the reason, why we are here today - to talk about him and his music. Are you ready?


I listened to his music on YouTube and I must agree with you, he is really good and his music is great. That's funny that I'm impressed by his music because I don't know German, and all his songs are in this language. So what do you think - sounds (only music) are more important than words, languages? Or maybe Tim has something exceptional that I got to like his music?

Firstly - it's amazing to hear that you like some of Tim’s songs. I think it's quite a huge compliment to the artist when people that don't know the musician's language like his sounds anyway. I don't really think that sounds alone are more important or more impressive than the lyrics to the song. It always depends on the song itself, I might say, but the one couldn't exist without the other, I guess. I personally am quite, quite fond of lyrics and the story/meaning behind a song so I'd say the texts are just as important as the music and melody. For me, a song has to tell a story. Something that kinda catches my attention and makes me think about the meaning behind.  So, how comes that you liked some songs by Tim Bendzko though you didn't understand a word?! Maybe it's because you've been able to feel those emotions he puts into his songs anyway by just listening to his voice and the way he sings his songs. Maybe you liked it because the mix of music/melody+lyrics is a good one and the feeling one gets due to music doesn't need a certain language but is just quite.. international.

You, person who love music, good music and who is from Germany, could you say something more about Tim and his music?

So, Tim Bendzko's a German singer & songwriter. He started to write songs at the age of 16 and decided to devote himself completely to the music at one point. He already worked with lots of other artists/songwriter and also performed as the opening act on Elton John's tour in Germany, for example! He won lots of awards yet and once said that "music's the only thing that'll always be there".  I think he’s musician with all of his heart & soul.

I saw that his singles were very popular in Germany [6 singles in Media Control Charts], in Austria [4 singles in Ö3 Austria Top 40] and in Switzerland [3 singles in Swiss Hitparade]. Also he won Bambi award and  Bundesvision Song Contest 2011 and…he was a support before Elton John and Joe Cocker Germans tours, so I think that people like him. Is he some pop-star only for young people or maybe even adults like him?

I guess his music doesn't know any age restrictions. Sure, if you look through the front rows on his concerts you might think there're only teenage girls that love and admire his music, but I personally also know some more "mature" people that like to listen to him. I just think it's a kind of music you can identify with at all ages, no matter if you're 13, 23 or 53. He's just singing about moments and situations we probably all know and experience(d) so his music's for everybody that finds a bit of himself in there!

I think, that it's really hard to choose a good songs to get to know the band or artist. which song by him would be the best to check, is he in our music taste?

I'd probably recommend a song called "Wenn Worte meine Sprache wären", which is definitely my favourite song by him. I can just totally find myself within the lyrics and the story he's trying to tell in there and the acoustic versions of this song are just really great, his voice's just made for this song! I think that's a kinda identification for a good musician: being able to sing your songs acoustic. Just the singer & his voice, maybe a guitar - that's it.

 
[acoutic version]

If you had to choose three the best song by him, which one would be and why?

#1: “Wenn Worte meine Sprache wären” (like I already said ;>)




#2: “Ohne zurück zu sehen” - because I like how he's playing with his voice's colours in there, I like the refrain and the lyrics are great. It's one of those songs that just make you want to close your eyes and live/enjoy the moment.





#3: “In dein Herz” - it's quite an emotional song and it's probably one of those you can't listen to in every situation.. but it gets me every time. I'm not very fond of many German artists, but he's one of just a handful that make me feel something. Also, I really love the piano in there!





I checked on YouTube, which song in the most showing and we have the winner  : "Nur Noch Kurz Die Welt Retten" with more than 15.400.000 views. The second place is for "Wenn Worte meine Sprache wären" with more than 10.250.000 views. Third place is for "Ich laufe" with more than 3.900.000 views. There's a huge difference between the first place and the trird. I listened to all of them, and I see that people like song with energy more than a bit slower songs by him, or maybe it's because "Nur noch kurz die Welt retten" is his first single and that's why is more popular? And what do you think about these songs and music videos?

Maybe "Nur noch kurz die Welt retten" has way more views than the others because it was the song that made him popular literally "over night". It's the song you heard on the radio 24/7 at some time and they still play it at least 2 times a day. Maybe it also got more because it's rather a song with a faster rhythm that makes you feel like moving and maybe dancing. Perhaps it's precisely this kind of music that gets most of the people. I quite like all of those three, though I'd put "Nur noch kurz die Welt retten" on #3 in this "ranking". 





My favourite video would probably be the one of "Ich laufe". One might think it's rather boring, but I really like this simplicity. For me it's about the song, I don't really need an extra "film" for the music I like.





Tell us three reasons, why it's worthwhile to check his music and maybe become his fan?

1st - his music is full of... honesty. He puts lots of emotions into his songs, but it never seems to be "too much". He's doing music that's authentic and what's better than being able to identify yourself with sung stories?
2nd - he doesn't only sing about one thing in different ways and sentences. It's not only about the "commonplace topics" like love, sadness, missing, etc. It's quite many-sided, actually!
3rd - his voice is fantastic. It's pure and simple but also melancholic and deep. It's just very enjoyable and also calming to listen to his songs, he's such a talented singer (and a really nice guy, too).





Thank you very much for your help and of course for your time to, at first recommend to me and other people music of one of your favourite artist, and then answer my questions. Also I hope that this is not the last thing which we did together and soon we will recommend something good yet.





You can find more info about Tim Bendzko on his official page, FB page, twitter, YouTube.


***

music is my passion & inspiration
only music saves 

No comments:

Post a Comment